Friday 1 June 2012

..to all you optimists out there - let us sing together "Here Comes The Sun"

 ....I am sure today will involve for many the last bits of planning, crossing off lines on to do lists, home-baking marathons, for all those fabulous parties and gatherings.   The wonderful word 'community' shows it's bright light around streets, avenues, cul-de-sacs and parks all over our currently soggy land.  But there will be sunshine to light up the blue, red and whiteness of tablecloths and bunting, plastic hats and union jack painted faces.
 I was eight when it was the Silver Jubilee.  I remember all our Mums planning for weeks to raise funds for a party over at our local farm.  Jumble sales, back garden Bric a Brac stalls, toffee apple and coconut ice making and then selling to all the local kids for 5p.  It wasn't just the event but it was the wonderful community spirit that floated above houses for months and months in raising money for 200 jam sandwiches, 50 trays of home baked pies, 40 litres of squash, there was even a little committee of folk to ensure all went swimmingly.....
 ...so let me know your plans - I am very nosey!!!  I leave you with the most fabulous of images taken by my friend, photographer Debbie Stogden, of the latest antics of the Saltburn-by-Sea Yarn Bombers ....... their identity if still unknown, but look what recently adorned the railings .... Debbie has also documented the London Olympians which are proudly tied to the railings on  Saltburn Pier - if you live local and you have yet to see this exhibition of crazy needlesmiths then it is a must this weekend...


...So I leave you with her Majesty and the occasional corgi or five whilst waving my flag and celebrating with the rest of the country that we are about to embark on four days off in a row!!!!
Are you attending or holding a party - let me know where and I'll come and drink pimms at your house!

4 comments:

Katrina (Mrs Leaney's Vintage China Hire) said...

LOVE the Yarn Bombers! I wish I lived up there, how fantastically cheerful! We're having a little garden tea party with my family on Saturday- the first time they'll all see our nice new garden! Then we're going to our town's celebrations on Sunday, and my eldest daughter is performing with her ballet group at a local village fete on Monday... busy busy busy! But I'm so excited, I love being British! x

Debbie Stogden said...

Hi Vicky, I have noticed there is a real buzz about the upcoming long weekend. It was at fever pitch when we had that lovely weather last week. Let's hope it lives up to expectations, but we could all do worse than to pop along and see the wonderful Saltburn knitting! So wonderful that people are prepared to spend their time just to make us smile.

Mayflower Events x said...

I'm going to be out of the country for the Jubilee so I am going to have to live it vicariously through all the blogs like this - love the knitted figures!

I will keep my fingers crossed for sunshine :-)

vicky trainor said...

...have a wonderful weekend ladies!!.....xxxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...